Social Worker: Social Work Services Ref No. DSD 175/2021
Western Cape Department of Social Development - Gugulethu, Cape Town, Western Cape
Full-Time | Government
Closing date yi 17 ka January 2022
- The Department of Social Development, Western Cape Government has an opportunity for a suitably qualified and competent social worker to provide social work services within the Service Delivery Area through the promotion of social change, problem solving in human relationships and the empowerment and liberation of people to enhance social well-being.
- A formal tertiary qualification in Social Work (Bachelor of Social Work) that allows professional registration with the South African Council for Social Service Professions as Social Worker;
- Registration with the South African Council for Social Service Professions as a Social Worker;
- A valid Code B driving licence.
- Grade 1: No experience;
- Grade 2: A minimum of 10 years appropriate experience in Social Work after registration as a Social Worker with the South African Council for Social Service Professions;
- Grade 3: A minimum of 20 years appropriate experience in Social Work after registration as a Social Worker with the South African Council for Social Service Professions;
- Grade 4: A minimum of 30 years appropriate experience in Social Work after registration as a Social Worker with the South African Council for Social Service Professions.
Skills & Competencies
- Relevant legislation, policy and prescripts (norms and standards);
- Supervision framework for Social Workers;
- Knowledge and understanding of human behaviour and social systems as well as skills to intervene at the points where people interact with their environments in order to promote social well-being;
- Social Work theory and interventions;
- Information and Knowledge Management;
- Protocol and professional ethics;
- Social dynamics, work values and principles;
- Developing and empowering others;
- Skills to challenge structural sources of poverty, inequality, oppression, discrimination and exclusion;
- The ability and competence to assist, develop, advocate for and empower individuals, families, groups, organisations, communities to enhance their social functioning and their problem-solving capabilities;
- The ability to promote, restore, maintain, advocate for and enhance the functioning of individuals, families, groups and communities enabling them to accomplish tasks, prevent and alleviate distress and use resources effectively;
- Proven computer literacy;
- Report writing skills;
- Self-Management skills;
- Good planning and organisational skills;
- Presentation and facilitation skills;
- Client orientation and customer focus;
- Understanding and ability to provide social work services towards protecting people who are vulnerable, at risk and unable to protect themselves.
- Render a social work service with regard to the care, support, protection and development of vulnerable individuals, groups, families and communities through the relevant programmes (case work, group work and community work);
- Attend to matters that results in or stems from social instability in any form;
- Supervise and support social auxiliary workers;
- Keep up to date with new developments in the social work and social welfare fields;
- Perform all administrative functions required of the job.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit copies of their documentation for verification purposes.
- These candidates will be required to attend interviews on a date and time as determined by the department.
- The selection process will be guided by the EE targets of the employing department.
- Kindly note that technical support is only available from Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 16.00.
- Should you experience any difficulties with your online application you may contact the helpline at 0861 370 202.
- Please ensure that you submit your application before the closing date as no late applications will be considered.
- Grade 1: R261 456 – R303 093 per annum;
- Grade 2: R321 546 – R369 258 per annum;
- Grade 3: R389 991 – R452 106 per annum;
- Grade 4: R479 640 – R589 896 per annum (OSD as prescribed).
Note on remuneration
- Cost-to-employer (CTE) remuneration packages for certain occupation-specific dispensations (OSD), the middle-management service (MMS) and contract positions are inclusive of all costs related to service benefits or obligations including basic salary, 13th cheque, medical assistance, housing assistance, pension-fund contributions, etc.
- MMS remuneration packages are flexible and may be individually structured as prescribed.
- Where remuneration is not indicated as CTE, employees' service benefits or obligations are funded or co-funded in terms of the applicable prescripts or collective agreements.
Ms D de Bruyn at (028) 214 3000
Lo msebenzi ufakwe ngu Tebuho Moshoeshoe nge 28 ka November 2021