TB HIV Care (THC) in existence since 1929, is an internationally recognised non-profit organisation. TB HIV Care provides health care services throughout South Africa to both the general population and communities at increased risk for HIV and TB, including adolescent girls and young women, sex workers and people who use drugs. TB HIV Care provides a stimulating work environment and the opportunity to work with leaders in the field of HIV and TB prevention and care. Our work culture is adapted to the constantly-evolving South African health care environment and will suit solution-driven team players interested in opportunities for career development while working to connect people with care.
Purpose of the position
To provide counselling services and become an integral part of the broader comprehensive care and treatment counselling team in a non-clinical site and/or community that links the community into care.
This is a contract position based on funding.
• Provide education on HIV/TB/STI prevention, risk reduction planning, correct condom uses and living positively
• Uses guidelines to conduct health education and promote positive living
• Conducts individual and group health education using the teaching aides provided
• Keeps abreast of the latest developments in HIV/AIDS/TB/STI prevention
• Promote HIV counselling and testing and condom use with screening for TB and STI:
• Promotes HIV/AIDS counselling and testing and condom use for males/females
• Promotes couple/partner counselling
• Encourage and support disclosure
• Promotes and screens all clients for TB/STI and MMC
• Visits workplace, correctional services, farms and schools and presents TB/HIV service for consideration
• Conducts awareness sessions
• Conducts door to door campaigns (awareness, testing, and screening for TB/STI)
• Establish and maintain support groups in line with Stepping Stones, Family Matters and other structured programmes.
• Promote HTS uptake through one on one information sessions and/or group support
• Completes the HTS register daily for all clients tested by them respectively
• Appropriate referral of all new cases- HIV, TB and STI:
• Maintains a system and has a regular program to trace newly diagnosed HIV/TB/STI clients by telephone, home visits or other means and follows up on MMC clients
• Assists in taking sputum specimen on symptomatic clients
• Grade 12 or;
• One (1) year related experience and/or training; or
• Equivalent combination of education and experience
• Driver's license (advantageous)
• Accredited or approved HIV Counselling certificate (minimum ten days training). If counselling certificate is older than 5 years, proof of attendance at HIV and HTS refresher training Current HIV Rapid Test certificate (not older than 2 years
• Certificate to conduct Finger Prick Testing
• Clear criminal record