Trainee Train Assistant
Transnet - Komatipoort, Mpumalanga
Full-Time | General Work
Closing date yi 1st ka July 2022
- Assist the Train Driver in the safe and efficient driving/handling of all different types of trains/locomotives consists (airbrake, vacuum, high speed, heavy haul and passengers) to ensure that the customers freight/cargo reaches its destination in good condition, on time, in order to enable the organisation to satisfy the customers’ needs.
- Grade 12 with pure Mathematics and/or Physical Science.
- Be prepared to successfully undergo Train Assistant duties (theoretical and practical) so as to be certified to work independently as a Train Assistant.
- The candidate should be a minimum of 1.6 meters tall
- Psychomotor ability (to be assessed through Vienna Testing System (VTS) standard)
- Ability to carry heavy objects
Skills & Competencies
- Various communication systems
- Depot layout
- Locomotive classes
- Locomotive equipment
- Sections/stations and sidings
- Signing on duty procedures
- Train working rules
- Trip report
- Yard and siding layout
- Knowledge of general TFR policies
- Shunting procedures
- Locomotive classes and their hauling capacities, constraints on the particular territory
- Health and Safety Act 85
- First aid
- Basic conditions of employment act (BCEA)
- SANS 3004 (Human factors)
- HC policies and procedures
- Train service/ITP
- Train workings
- Substance Abuse policy and procedures
- Locomotive coupling and uncoupling
- Locomotive preparation (Electrical and Diesel)
- Locomotive Stabling
- Shunting movement
- Train handling skills
- Time management
- Stress handling
- Psychomotor skills (reactions/ coordination)
- Depth perception psychomotor
- Train / locomotive handling and preparation
- Problem solving
- Electrical and diesel locomotive driving
- Stress handling
- Safety conscious
- Willing to work shifts
- Results orientated
- Sign on duty at designated work place and be allocated duties to be performed for the duration of the shift.
- Prepare locomotives
- Prepare communication equipment
- Performs the pre-trip preparation of the Locomotives and the whole Train prior the departure to adhere to roadworthiness and train working rules and safety standards
- Execute shunting activities in sidings and enroute according to directives to enhance safe working procedures
- Assist the train driver enroute to ensure the safe movement of the train from a required point to the destination, without delays or damage to locomotives, wagons, infrastructure track and other equipment, to ensure predictable service
- Comply to safety standards and laid down instruction to ensure that he is well motivated and competent
- Provide accurate feedback timeously to the Train Driver regarding any incidents and deviations along the route
- Assist in performing various administration duties
- Complete the Train journal and submit to the Section manager at sign-off after every shift to ensure timeous and accurate processing of monthly salary
- Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet.
- Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
- Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
- Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to [email protected]
- We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet.
- Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
- Be prepared to undergo periodic medical surveillance and safety behavioral risk assessments during the selection process and every 12 months
- Physical hearing, vision, mental, fitness (to be verified through medical tests and related safety behavioural risk assessments)
- The operator shall not allow employees younger than 21 years of age to undertake train driver or train control duties. (SANS 3000, par 18.104.22.168)
Download Full Vacancy
Lo msebenzi ufakwe ngu Tebuho Moshoeshoe nge 23 ka June 2022