Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) is a talent driven, customer- centric and impact focused organisation. In our endeavour to support technology innovation with socio-economic outcomes; we seek to infuse the organisation with team players that find resonance as value creators, agile thinkers, progressive attitudes, customer-centricity, dynamic work ethic and an optimistic disposition. We aim to harness these attributes in a manner that they culminate into a culture of teamwork, impact and accountability.
In executing its mandate, the organisation provides funding and non-funding support to stimulate innovation so that it provides a catalytic impact to the economy whilst improving people’s lives and protecting the environment. The Agency endeavours to promote the careers of previously disadvantaged persons by applying the principles of the Employment Equity Act, as amended.
To support the division by facilitating the commercialization of impactful technological innovations, in line with the division’s strategy
• Assist the division to develop the applicant’s budgets and forecasts for EXCO and Board approval.
• Monitor and track financial performance against budget (operations and projects)
• Manage and monitor the timeous disbursement of funding to ensure optimal operation of technology and innovation projects.
• Identify new funding opportunities for TIA investees.
• Identify commercialisation opportunities for TIA investees and support in them in match making with the market.
• Assist and facilitate the development and execution of commercialization strategies and business models for TIA funded technologies and products.
• Support TIA investees with Identifying and approaching potential commercialisation partners.
• Conduct pragmatic, market led commercial due diligence on new deals and package for investment.
• Manage repayment obligations that projects have to TIA (e.g. equity, royalties, and loans).
• Monitor the usage of disbursed funds on a monthly basis.
• Analyse the Annual Financial Statements of beneficiaries.
Governance, Portfolio Management and Reporting
• Adherence to all relevant policies, procedures and frameworks is maintained.
• Compliance to all TIA systems (fund management, performance management, HR, Finance, stakeholder information, etc.) is maintained.
• All portfolio audit matters are resolved.
• Agreed turnaround times on key business processes are achieved.
• Project information is accurately and completely recorded on the fund management system.
• Ensure timeous and accurate reporting as per requirements.
• Assist applicants with building a fundable opportunity and to assess Investment opportunities.
• Provides support and assistance to projects to achieve their milestones.
• Pro-active identification of project risks and portfolio opportunities, together with project teams.
• Perform due diligence with a focus on financial, commercial as well as the technical aspects of TIA projects and programs.
• All aspects of the project life cycle from sourcing to exit are efficiently managed.
• Facilitate commercialisation of TIA projects/investments.
• Build a pipeline of investment opportunities for the business unit.
• Perform client-centric and value adding project management of TIA projects/investments.
Stakeholder Management and Marketing
• Provide input into the formulation of a stakeholder relationship strategy specific to the business unit.
• Market TIA funded technologies for market uptake and further investment.
• In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications unit, ensure credible success stories are published.
• An effective eco-system is built around the portfolio including key stakeholder relations.
• Establish and Develop relationships and partnerships with industry, other funders etc. that will enable the portfolio to successful commercialise.
• Participate in events, meetings, workshops and conferences by giving input, avail skill, competency and expertise. Participation should result positive input, impact and giving direction in the NSI.
• Initiate and participate in thought leadership activities.
• Ensure alignment of all work processes to the required quality standards.
• Proactively identify continual improvement strategies.
• Monitor agreed quality initiatives ensuring that they are aligned to business processes and delivered as agreed.
Qualifications and Experience
• A minimum: Degree in Science / Engineering/Finance
• A business qualification (or professional certifications) will be advantageous.
• Three (3) – five (5) years’ experience assisting high value Intellectual Property (IP) technologies and digital technologies to commercialise, raising technology development and commercialisation funding and structuring commercial partnerships.
• Experience with working with innovative start-ups / inventors / innovators, industry, governmental organizations, and investors.
• The ability to structure commercial deals, develop IP commercialisation strategies and develop business plans.
Knowledge and Skills
• Knowledge of technology development trends in relevant industries
• Business Skills
• Deal making skills
• Knowledge of PFMA
• Knowledge of Financial and non-financial support trends for technology development Enterprise development
• Business acumen
• Commercial decision making
• Communication – written and verbal
• Financial acumen