Laboratory Technicians (2 Posts)
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University - Ga-Rankuwa, Pretoria, Gauteng
Full-Time | Healthcare
Closing date yi 17 ka July 2020
- The incumbent will be expected to participate in research, postgraduate and related laboratory medicine activities in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences within Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University.
- The incumbent will report to the HOD, and must meet the requirements, competencies and be responsible for the key performance areas below.
- A BSc Degree or B-Tech Degree, or appropriate pharmacy or pharmaceutical qualification
- Two years (2) relevant experience, including the ability and skills to handle, prepare, set out and oversee practical experiments
- Sound knowledge and experience of laboratory techniques, and the use and maintenance of laboratory equipment, including but not limited to:
- Chromatography-TLC, HPLC, GC
- Spectrometry and calorimetry
- Dissolution apparatus, friability Tester, Hardness tester, Homogeniser, etc.
- Biotechnology assays such as PCR, ELISA, RIA, Immunoassays, fermentation
- Experience or background of pharmaceutical laboratory would be an added advantage
Skills & Competencies
- Good writing and communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good computer literacy skills
- Good planning and organising skills
- Facilitate or assume responsibility for the maintenance of equipment and ensure that equipment is operational at all times
- Maintenance of service histories and contract for all equipment /instruments
- Ensure security checks of laboratory, to ensure equipment is secured/protected
- Manage the laboratory stockroom(s), and inventories suppliers
- Conduct preparatory work for practicals including preparation of media and reagents, and collection of specimens
- Supervise laboratory assistants during setting up for practical’s
- Be available in the relevant practical sessions and instruct students as directed by the relevant lecturer
- Compile or assist in the compilation of laboratory manuals
- Ensure that health and safety rules and procedures are followed at all times
- Assist with the display of health and safety policy and procedures and ensure that they are visible to laboratory users.
- Work with the University safety officer to ensure access to inventory information for emergency responders
- Participate in safety inspections, fire drills and any other safety interventions
- Conduct lab orientation and lab safety training with new students, and staff members
- Report all forms of hazards in the laboratory
- Assist academics with undergraduate and postgraduate research projects
- Keep abreast of developments within own field of study and their implications for the teaching /learning situation
- Actively improve institutional culture
- Contribute to the overall development of SMU
- Any other duty as assigned by the HOD and / or Dean
- Applications from Employment Agency will not be considered.
- Typed applications (quoting the reference number) which should contain a comprehensive curriculum vitae, certified copies of all qualifications and contact details of three referees, should be forwarded, for the attention of Ms BG Mbanjwa or e-mail applications in MS Word and PDF format
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to have foreign qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
- Failure to submit the requested documents/information will result in your application not being considered.
- Telephonic enquiries regarding conditions of service: (012) 521-3651
- The Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
- Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only.
- Applicants who have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date must consider their applications as unsuccessful.
- The university reserves the right to make or not to make an appointment.
Download Full Vacancy
Aplaya nge Email
- For Attention: Ms BG Mbanjwa
- Post to: the Human Resources Department, P.O Box 68, Medunsa, 0204
- Hand delivered at: (place in the application box): Human Resources Department, 5th Floor, Clinical Pathology building, Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, Molotlegi Street, Garankuwa
Aplaya nge Email
Lomsebenzi ufakwe ngu Tebuho Moshoeshoe nge 30 ka June 2020