Communications Officer: Media and External Communications
National Treasury - Pretoria, Gauteng
Full-Time | Communications
Closing date yi 17 ka January 2022
- To provide support in implementing the National Treasury’s external Communication Strategy.
- A minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Communication / Public Relations or related fields;
- A minimum 1-2 years’ experience in Media / Communications environment.
Media management, monitoring and analysis:
- Keep superiors abreast with developments in the financial and economic sectors, paying attention to media coverage of the NT, and make recommendations which NT officials should take to remedy negative coverage in the media,
- Arrange, coordinate, and oversee media briefings and media workshops. Record media briefing proceedings,
- Conduct research on key issues that impact on the NT. This content can be used as speaking notes for officials or be used in media statements,
- Co-ordinate requests for interviews for the Minister, Deputy Minister, the Director-General and senior Treasury officials,
- Accompany NT officials to media interviews in order to offer media support to them and protect them from door-stop interviews by the media,
- Prepare briefing notes for NT officials where necessary,
- Compile weekly media query reports to help assess the issues that NT had to deal with during a particular week and how communication on those issues was done,
- Distribute statements to the media and request IT to upload these on the NT website,
- Update the media database every three months by phoning and emailing media houses to check who has left and who has joined their newsrooms, particularly journalists that report on the NT,
- Interact with different Divisions to source information that needs to be communicated to the public,
- Monitor the media email, direct emailed media queries to the relevant divisions for answers, verify the content and clean up the grammar, and ensure that it is accurate and has gone through all the internal approval processes before issuing response back to the journalists,
- Identify opportunities for positive media coverage on divisions’ work and put together communications plans, approach newspapers, radio and TV to secure interview slots,
- Promote the NT’s brand and its range of activities through pro-actively crafting newsworthy messages to be sent to the media on a regular basis,
- Source the Parliamentary programme for NT in order to keep up with appearances by the department before Parliamentary committees, to help with monitoring of the department’s coverage in the media.
- Assist with the implementation of a communications strategy for the NT,
- Organise workshops for external stakeholders, such as media or interest groups whenever NT has new legislation, to raise awareness on the work of the NT,
- Assist in arranging and conducting regular and special media interaction, including editorial visits, taped and live interviews,
- Liaise with GCIS and other government communication structures, and represent the Department/Ministry in other inter-governmental for a,
- Assist with the co-ordination of editing of various departmental publications including the strategic plan, annual performance plan, annual report, and budget related documents.
- Engage IT to ensure that all media statements and speeches are uploaded on the NT website for external stakeholders.
- Provide logistical support in key NT projects/programmes such as the Budget, Budget outreaches, Budget Vote, MTBPS, and Corporate Social Responsibility programmes,
- Draft Communication plans for key projects such as Budget and MTBPS.
- Develop content that can be used to design social media banners and infographics.
- Upload approved content on National Treasury social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Livestream on social media, sessions where Minister, Deputy Minister, Director-General and NT EXCO are presenting.
- Salary: R321 543.00 - R378 765.00 per annum (Excl. benefits)
Lo msebenzi ufakwe ngu Tebuho Moshoeshoe nge 10 ka January 2022