Data Center Technician
Microsoft - Johannesburg, Gauteng
Full-Time | Investigations
Closing date ayichazwanga
- Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services.
- As a CO+I DCT, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform.
- As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development for all employees and offers trainings and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent and basic knowledge of computer hardware and components AND 1+ year(s) experience supporting IT equipment or related technology.
Data Center Operations:
- Demonstrates an applied understanding of standard processes and procedures for preparing, installing, performing diagnostics, troubleshooting, replacing, and/or decommissioning equipment
- Proactively shares relevant information to enable efficient workflow and mitigate the impact that changes to their area of work will have on others.
- Complies with Data Center Services (DCS) business unit and service-level policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- Completes assigned tickets efficiently and in alignment with expectations for Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) per task type while meeting or exceeding established Service Level Agreements (SLAs), with minimal guidance from other technicians.
- Prepares, stages, sets up, and performs startups and shutdowns (e.g., racks, hard drives, switches) according to specific instructions provided via checklists, guides, standard protocols, and emails; assists and provides guidance to other technicians to complete challenging or complex tasks.
- Performs post-execution quality checks and verifies that grounding, staging, labeling, and cabling are set up properly according to safety protocols, deployment standards, and planned Network Design Tasks (NDTs),
- Performs diagnostics and troubleshooting following standard procedures, quickly identifies the cause(s) of issues, and replaces faulty components with minimal customer and business disruption.
- Provides guidance to technicians troubleshooting issues.
- Decommissions hardware for simple changes and refreshes (e.g., memory upgrades, OS rebuilds) following standard procedures with minimal guidance.
- Follows procedures to communicate, report, and escalate incidents to appropriate Microsoft data center operations management units, Technician Leads, and engineering specialists.
- Develops an understanding of cross-functional processes to support partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Completes required training aligned to the role and workload; observes more experienced technicians to gain hands-on experience and relevant on-the-job training.
Data Center Work Environment:
- Participates in daily safety briefings, completes required safety training, complies with safety procedures (e.g., equipment use, lifting, electrical hazards, ladder/rolling stair use).
- Complies with security and data management procedures and policies and completes required security training and alerts others to security concerns and/or incidents.
- Contributes to a positive and effective team environment by sharing information with others, contributing to regular team meetings, asking questions, and staying apprised of the status of others' work.
- Has pride and a sense of accountability for the service quality, completeness, and resulting user experience; displays accountability and ownership of the data center facilities.
- Learns the client’s business and maintains a strong client focus to understand the impact of their work when completing tickets and assigned tasks.
- Embody our culture and values
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Applicable certifications: CompTIA (A+, Server+, Network+), Basic Structure Cabling (BSC).
- Ability to support frequent standing, walking, lifting, and working at heights with or without equipment assistance.
- Able to communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders.
- Proficient in written and oral English communication to support regional and global teams.
- Desire to learn, grow, and develop new technical skills.
Lo msebenzi ufakwe ngu Tebuho Moshoeshoe nge 23 ka June 2022