Human Sciences Research Council Metadata Librarian Pretoria
Closing date yi 22 ka October 2019
- The successful candidate will be based in the Pretoria Office on a five-year contract.
- The Metadata Librarian will be part of the Information Services Team responsible for maintaining the library catalogue.
- A graduate qualification in any data intensive scientific domain;
- Working knowledge of statistical software such as SPSS, Stata and SAS;
- At least 1 years’ experience in a data management / research / data curation context.
Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of research methodology and research data (quantitative and / or qualitative) in the Social Sciences;
- Knowledge of metadata and archiving practices, as well as knowledge of international best practice and trends in the area of data and outputs curation;
- Good interpersonal skills and a strong service orientation which will contribute to cooperative and effective interaction with colleagues;
- Good planning, organising, writing and presentation skills;
- Willingness to work under pressure, according to plan, so as to meet deadlines.
Train and assist staff in research units to
- manage research data according to best practices that supports the preservation and dissemination of data;
- document research activities and describe research data;
- deposit data and related documents for curation in acceptable electronic formats;
- anonymise data for dissemination purposes.
Curate deposited data and related documentation by
- validating and checking deposited data and documentation;
- reviewing and completing structured metadata;
- developing unstructured metadata, such as study and user guides to describe datasets and facilitate re-use;
- preparing preservation and dissemination files;
- recording actions performed during the curation process.
Promote the use of curated data by
- raising awareness about data re-use amongst stakeholders and providing relevant training;
- assisting data users with queries.
Lomsebenzi ufakwe ngu Tebuho Moshoeshoe nge 9 ka October 2019