Coca-Cola Beverages South Africa (CCBSA) has an exciting opportunity in our manufacturing department. We are looking for a talented individual with relevant skills and experience for the Production Engineer role, which is based in Devland. The successful candidate will report directly to the Manufacturing Manager.
They will be responsible for managing and leading the Packaging Team by providing specialised technical services to ensure that the planned cases are produced within budget while maintaining high quality standards and meeting customer satisfaction and business requirements.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop and continuously review the annual business plan ensuring alignment and delivery to strategic imperatives and benchmarked guidelines.
• Manage the business plan and ensure that it consists of production plans, quality plans, raw material utilisation plans, people development plans, unit structure, suggested projects, timelines and technology/equipment.
• Review the business plan monthly regularly and address variances.
• Maintain timelines and resources that are realistic.
• Communicate the business plan and subsequent progress to the team at agreed intervals
• Manage a business plan that supports world class principles.
• Provide performance trend analysis and support to the Unit Managers in order to identify focused plans and initiatives to enable Team Leaders to achieve performance goals (production, maintenance, quality, housekeeping, safety, etc.).
• Provide support to problem solving in an effective and timeous manner.
• Achieve Manufacturing Performance targets and manage deviations / gaps.
• Install maintenance systems and improve and optimise equipment availability.
• Manage manufacturing costs.
• Improve and maintain high quality standards.
• Manage performance.
• Implement and maintain manufacturing systems, policies and procedures.
• Improve and maintain high safety standards.
• Implement World Class Manufacturing practices (SCMAT)
• Implement the Manufacturing strategy.
• Manage projects to ensure successful completion.
• Provide leadership support and guidance to the team.
• Provide work instructions (as and when required) for every machine and activity (operational, maintenance, safety, quality, sanitation, housekeeping, etc.).
• Maintain Work instructions in line with the CCBSA Quality System requirements and good manufacturing practices.
• Maintain easy access of the Work instructions to Unit Manager and members.
• Discuss deviations from work instructions together with Unit Manager, on an ongoing basis.
• Improve and revise systems and processes and ensure that they changed and designed as and when required.
• Apply solutions to the systemic problems where required and involve the relevant people.
• Coach and empower Unit Managers to solve their own situational problems.
• Maintain a healthy relationship with the Union.
• Ensure compliance to external accreditations (i.e. NOSA, ISO, HACCP, etc)
• Formulate expense and capital budgets in line with financial guidelines, production budget and with the business plan.
• Obtain input from the relevant stakeholders and approval from the Manufacturing Manager.
• Formulate expense budget that includes all expense items as per expense format.
• Approve budgets and communicate to relevant Stakeholders timeously, and ensure budgeting benchmarking takes place.
• Compare actuals against monthly budget, year to date and prior year with relevant Stakeholders regularly.
• Develop action plans to address deviations.
• Assess Capital expenses and make recommendations to the appropriate stakeholders.
• Ensure performance goals that are aligned to the business context, manufacturing strategy analysing performance trends and ensuring delivery to the business plan.
• Develop Performance goals annually and agree together with management and the Team Leaders
• Develop Performance goals to cover, customers, line utilisation, raw material utilisation, quality performance goals (product and package), training and development requirements. (PQCDSM)
• Review Performance goals weekly with the team
• Generate a daily operational report and month-end report and use them to measure and control performance against goals.
• Action plan to be developed and implemented with team if any decline in performance occurs.
• Support Team Members where required.
• Facilitate relationship building within the team.
• Create and environment and leadership that supports constructive conflict.
• Resolve team challenges in line with CCBSA values and ethics.
• Providing coaching support to Team Members in optimising the value of individual differences within the team.
• Communicate the reasons for change continuously and explain the processes involved, effects, benefits, etc.
• Manage and measure the effectiveness of change intervention and provide the results to the team.
• Encourage full team participation in change processes.
• Encourage the team to be committed and enthusiastic about the change intervention.
Skills, Experience & Education
Qualifications and Experience
• A minimum of a Matric and a BSc (Mechanical/Electrical) or 4-year relevant technical qualification.
• Relevant financial qualification would be an advantage.
• An MBA degree would be an advantage.
• A minimum of 5-7 years technical, maintenance and leadership experience in an FMCG environment.
• A minimum of 5 years in a production environment.
• The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others and tailors the content of speech to the level and experience of the audience.
• Use rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
• The ability to apply planning skills in order to, schedule activities and prioritise resources in the achievement of an objective.
• Be dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
• Steps up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; reads situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
• Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.