Senior Network Technician
Rhodes University - Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
Full-Time | IT
Closing date yi 11 ka July 2022
- The Network Technician II (Engineering) is a member of the Network Engineering team, assisting the Network Architect with the implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of the University’s local-, wide-, and storage- area networks.
- CompTIA Network+ (or similar) plus approximately 2 years’ relevant experience where such experience includes:
- Network installations (cabling, fibre work, etc.)
- Basic systems administration
- Basic network administration (small corporate LAN, etc.)
- Appropriate industry or professional qualifications, particularly those relating to storage and network infrastructure in use at the University, would be advantageous.
Skills & Competencies
- Working knowledge of data networks, including: dynamic routing protocols such as BGP & OSPF; autonomous systems; redundancy protocols such as spanning tree; next-generation firewalls; network access control; wireless client access (802.11 a/b/g/n); point-to-point wireless networks; optical links
- Understanding of storage protocols and concepts, such as:
- Fibre Channel
- Understanding of the domain name system (DNS)
- Basic systems administration skills
- Knowledge of network-supporting infrastructure such as DHCP, proxies, etc
- Sound numerical ability
- Excellent organisational skills including the ability to plan, prioritise and met deadlines
- Sound administrative skills
- Good level of time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to relate to staff at different occupational levels as well as from different cultures and backgrounds
- Champions diversity: culturally aware and sensitive, fosters an attitude of appreciating diversity in others
- High level of self-awareness, is committed to own development
- Able to gain the trust of others, able to keep confidences
- Business networking skills, able to persuade and convince others
- The ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in English
- The ability to communicate in other official languages will be an advantage
- Personal integrity with a keen sense of fairness, able to balance the competing demands within a HE institution with student and other client/customer expectations
- Commitment to transparent management, being open about decisions taken and mistakes made
- Strong service orientation with a results-focus, a strong sense of accountability
- High level of professionalism and conduct that will enhance the reputation of the Division
- Personal flexibility: willing to consider alternative perspectives and ideas
- Good problem-solving orientation, committed to continuous improvement
- Collaborative orientation: likes to consult others and get their input on matters
Network engineering and administration:
- Install, configure, and maintain firewalls, routers, network access control devices and distribution devices, as well as any access switches serving University data centers.
- Ensure that access devices are configured in accordance with the University’s network architecture. This includes assisting in the creation of configuration templates for use by network technicians; as well as testing and deploying (or supervising the deployment) of new firmware versions for network devices to ensure that firmware is consistent across all units of a particular of network device (or document reasons for exceptions).
- Ensure that devices are adequately secured and firmware is updated to eliminate known security vulnerabilities.
- Ensure that monitoring systems adequately monitor all devices.
- Continuously improve configurations with the aims of reducing the frequency of outages, and the impact of both outages and scheduled maintenance.
- Plan, install, configure, and maintain those network services that exist primarily for network operations or to enable network access control. These include, but may not be limited to, DNS, DHCP, RADIUS, NTP, and web proxy servers.
- Ensure that the servers that host these services are adequately maintained, secured and that software is updated to eliminate known security vulnerabilities.
- Ensure that monitoring systems adequately monitor all network services.
Monitoring and quality assurance:
- Assist the Network Architect in ensuring the quality and workmanship of the Network Installation team, including:
- supervising installation work or access switch configuration
- undertaking periodic inspections of installations undertaken by Network Technicians
- liaising with the IT Facilities Specialist
- When required, assist with the resolution of complex network faults that are beyond the capabilities of the normal support structures.
- Focus on re-establishing connectivity and minimising duration of outages for the majority of affected end-users.
- Where possible, conduct root-cause analysis and take steps to prevent recurrence.
- For additional information in respect of the job requirements, please refer to the job profile.
- It is essential that prospective candidates read the job profile and ensure that all relevant documentation is submitted.
If you have any questions or experiencing challenges on the system, please contact Mrs Lianke Bradfield on [email protected]
- Failure to submit such documentation will result in an application not being considered.
- The selection process that will be followed for this post includes a short-listing, followed by an interview.
- The Full Minimum Requirements against which candidates are to be measured are outlined in the job profile.
- Shortlisted candidates will be informed of the interview date.
- All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
- This post is advertised as permanent post, but the University may opt to appoint on a fixed-term contract of not less than three-years.
- The University reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post.
- An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview.
- Please apply online by accessing the Rhodes University Website.
- Candidates should note that Rhodes University has introduced a Covid-19 vaccine mandate and that staff members are required to conform to the University's conditions in this regard.
- If you are not contacted within 30 days from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
The following documents are required:
- An application form;
- A comprehensive CV and relevant qualifications, including academic transcripts;
- A substantial motivation which tells us your interest in the post and suitability in light of the requirements.
Download Full Vacancy
- Basic Salary Provident Fund: R251 197
- Cost to Company Approximately: R349 650