Committee Admin Officer (Secretariat)
Rhodes University - Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
Full-Time | Administration
Closing date yi 31st ka January 2022
- The provision of a professional and appropriate administrative and secretarial function to university committees, including efficient, accurate, reliable and timely documenting services to committees involved in decision-making.
- This includes setting up a framework to ensure that meetings of the aforementioned committees proceed smoothly and efficiently.
- Grade 12 plus approximately 4 years’ relevant experience where such experience includes:
- Previous administrative experience within a computerised environment where sound organisational, writing and time- management skills were key
- Experience working with large volumes of work.
- Track record of using technology for effective service.
- Track record of continuous improvement.
- Previous experience supporting committees will be an advantage.
- An understanding of the higher education environment and committee system.
Skills & Competencies
- The ability to work with committees including the scheduling and organizing of meetings.
- The ability to prepare agendas and take accurate and effective minutes.
- Ability to track agenda items and follow up where necessary.
- Sound Computer literacy: able to work with a word processor, spreadsheets and use the internet.
- Strong organisational and planning ability.
- Ability to disseminate information accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to maintain records in both electronic repositories and hardcopy archives.
- Organizational skills in order to effectively deal with many tasks and to prioritize them
- Computer literacy including sound understanding of word-processing, competence in MS Office software or related packages and electronic mail database applications, and the Internet
- Ability to read and interpret documents to draft and layout correspondence and documentation
People and Communication Skills:
- Knowledge of good communication practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Customer service ethic
- Excellent verbal and written skills in the English language
- The ability to communicate in other official languages will be an advantage
- Ability to interact efficiently and confidently with staff at all levels of the university.
- Ability to interact efficiently and confidently with external contacts such as Chairs of Council/F&GP/Audit committees, donors and governors, members of staff of other universities.
- Attention to detail, including the ability to check own work.
- Ability to cope with multiple demands, work under pressure and to a deadline.
- Willingness to work out of office hours when necessary.
- Ability to work as part of a team during specific projects e.g. during graduation.
- Efficiency, willingness and capability to work unsupervised and independently.
- Analytic skills in order to problem solve.
- Initiative and proactive orientation.
- Integrity and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately with the ability to meet strict deadlines.
Secretariat Administrative Responsibilities:
- Secretariat services to identified university committees by arranging meetings, preparation and distribution of agendas, attending and minuting meetings, preparation of minutes, collation and provision of information to facilitate decision-making, record-keeping of recommendations and decisions, management and updating of membership lists.
- Efficient service provided. Accurate preparation of documents, drafting, editing, typing, photocopying and collating methodically.
- Preparation and distribution of an ‘action minute’ after the sitting of a committee.
- Notify those responsible of decisions taken at a committee meeting, for onward implementation.
- Ensure the necessary organization for meetings (e.g. provision of equipment, catering, etc.)
- Assist with induction of new members of a committee when required.
- Organize chairperson’s circulars when required.
- Assist with the drafting of the university calendar on a yearly basis.
- Set up and administer the various election processes as and when required (e.g. deans and deputy deans; membership of committees).
- Ensure appropriate record-keeping of all records, including updating the electronic system.
- Assist with the update of standard operating procedures of the secretariat.
- Efficient, error free and timeous organization; strategies implemented to maximize use of time; accurate completion of tasks, professional reparation of documents including drafting, editing and collation of data.
- Providing an efficient documentation service including drafting, collating, editing, typing, collation, print preparation and distribution.
- Facilitating the execution of decisions taken at various university committees through the timeous provision of accurate information. Actioning decisions taken at Senate, Faculty Board and committee meetings relating to Academic Administration.
- Update the committee membership booklet as and where required.
- Ensure the setting up and administration of various election processes, e.g. Senate, Faculty Boards and Honorary degrees amongst others as may be required.
- Ensure that when policies serve before the relevant committee, feedback is provided to policy owners as per committee resolutions.
- Ensure feedback to relevant committees or persons in terms of committee resolutions as and when required.
- Manage the bookings of meeting venues and notices and documentation distribution timeously.
- Assist at graduation, inaugural lectures and registration as and when required
- All application forms should be submitted online.
- The system DOES NOT allow for multiple attachments.
- This means that candidates should submit all the documentation as one attachment for each application i.e. An application form, a letter of motivation which clearly indicates the level they are applying for, a comprehensive CV and relevant qualifications.
- If you have any questions or experiencing challenges on the system, please contact Mr Siya Duba on 046 603 8899.
- All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
- The University reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post.
- An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview.
- If you are not contacted within 30 days from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Failure to submit such documentation will result in an application not being considered.
Download Full Vacancy
Remuneration (Grade 09)
- Total annual package (Basic): R312 921
- Total Cost to Company: R425 643