Mental Health Lay Counselors X4
Desmond Tutu Health Foundation - East London, Eastern Cape
Contract | Healthcare
Closing date yi 24th ka June 2022
- The main purpose of this position is to recruit, consent, and enrol study participants; conduct tablet-based interviews with enrolled participants and deliver a brief 4- session structured counselling intervention for TB patients with depressive symptoms.
- Grade 12 Certificate/ Matric
- At least 1-year of previous experience in health counselling e.g. HIV counselling
- Computer and tablet literacy (Microsoft Office), including data entry (preferably REDCap)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) – Fluent in isiXhosa and English
Skills & Competencies
- Motivated to have direct interaction with patients
- Good planning, and organising
- Client (participant) focus
- Able to work as a member of a team and individually
- Be proactive as an individual
- Maintain study participant confidentiality
- Ability to work under pressure, whilst maintaining the ability to remain professional
- Strong public speaking skills
- Lateral creative thinking
- Adaptive to change
- Ability to multi-task
- Support Study Coordinator and Project Manager in implementing field-based study activities
- Schedule and deliver private and confidential counselling sessions for individuals with depressive symptoms
- Liaise with TB clinic staff to screen, consent, enrol and retain study participants.
- Conduct structured interviews (questionnaires) with participants.
- Administer electronic questionnaires to study participants.
- Manage, maintain and secure all paper and electronic data tools.
- Protect and maintain the confidentiality of study participants
- Transcribe and translate study data collection tools and audio obtained from participants during interviews.
- Upload and back up daily collected data.
- Submit timely accurate reports and tally sheets.
- Adhere to DTHF and study standard operating procedures.
- Attend study/project meetings and participate in all study training and supervision sessions as required.
- Build interpersonal relationships and maintain rapport.
- Submit CV, motivation letter with certified copy of highest qualification and details of three (3) current contactable referees by 24 June 2022.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Only applicants who have completed both applications steps, will be considered.
- NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are committed to equity in our employment practices.
- It is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity objectives.
- We reserve the right not to appoint if no suitable candidates are identified.
- I understand and accept that by applying for this position, I authorized DTHF to process my personal information in accordance with its internal operational requirements.
- I further understand that the personal information I disclose to DTHF will be processed in accordance with the requirements set out in the Protection of Personal Information Act and may include the transferring thereof to third parties for the purposes of verification.
- This job may be removed before it expires.
- If you have not heard from us within two weeks after the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
- Desmond Tutu Health Foundation is a child-friendly organisation committed to the protection of children.
- Three (3) years fixed-term contract
Lo msebenzi ufakwe ngu Tebuho Moshoeshoe nge 16 ka June 2022