Amatola Water Board - Nahoon Dam, East London, Eastern Cape
Full-Time | Chemical Engineering
Closing date yi 20th ka May 2022
- Based at Nahoon Dam
- National Diploma: Analytical Chemistry or Equivalent
- At least 3 years’ experience in an analytical chemistry laboratory.
- Working knowledge of good laboratory practice and laboratory quality management system.
- Trained and experienced in at least one of the following instruments: Atomic Absorption Spectrometry, ICP, Autotitrator, Aquakem, TOC, Wetchem, etc.
- Trained and experienced in the maintenance of analytical instruments and workstations
- Valid unendorsed drivers license
Skills & Competencies
- Computer literacy, i.e. MS Office and Integrated Laboratory Software System
- Trained and experienced in ISO 17025
- Basic statistical knowledge
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- LABWARE LIMS
- SACNASP registration
- Conduct chemical analysis on samples to ensure that adherence to ISO 17025, standard operating procedures and correct methods are followed and turnaround times are met.
- Calibrate the instruments to ensure optimum performance and efficiency of equipment.
- Utilize the Laboratory’s Quality Management System and assist with maintaining accreditation
- Receive samples from customers check and record the condition of the sample against conformance of the lab
- Identify the type of the sample received against sample test list
- Perform chemical and physical analyses (anions, cations, wet chemistry, and physicals) on instruments as per allocated time frames using authorized methods and procedures
- Check and record condition of samples against conformance conditions stipulated in the method
- Prepare samples for chemistry analysis e.g. (digesting, filtering, and degassing)
- Label and record the reagent standards to ensure traceability as per ISO 17025 requirement.
- Prepare analytical quality controls (AQC) standard reagents, plot AQC charts and monitor the performance of instruments against accepted standards and criteria
- Participate on SABS Proficiency testing scheme to monitor the laboratory’s performance, and investigate failures
- Perform specialized chemical analyses such as distillation and extraction when required
- Perform preventive maintenance on instruments as scheduled
- Investigate instrument failures and perform basic troubleshooting
- Record all repairs and maintenance undertaken in the relevant logbook/file
- Participate in specific training when new instrument is purchased at the lab.
- Take full responsibility of the equipment adhering to all lab procedures
- Transfer skill to all other lab employees that require that skill
- Produce and record traceable, analytical records according to the laboratory’s quality management system (QMS)
- Investigate and clear non-conformances issued by Quality Officer according to the time frames indicated in the Quality manual and/or specific action plan
- Write up SOP’s to ensure compliance to the QMS
- Actively participate in internal and external audits as required
- File documentation as prescribed in the quality manual to ensure swift retrieval of documents and records
- Practice good laboratory practices and maintaining housekeeping standards
- Ensure that there are acceptable levels of chemicals,consumables, and spares of instruments to minimize down time
- Assist procurement with the lab consumable specifications when requesting the quotes
- Submit requisitions on BAAN
- Record that the products received from the suppliers are of good quality and are documented as described in the quality manua and QMS
- Assist in evaluation of the sole supplier by keeping records of the purchasing and delivery process as per ISO 17025
- If you have not heard from us within 60 days after the closing date, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.
- These appointments will be finalized in accordance with Amatola Water’s Employment Equity Plan and Recruitment Policy.
- Preference will be given to suitably qualified persons from designated groups, specifically women, and people with disabilities. Amatola Water reserves the right not to make appointments.
- Lobbying of members of the Board and/ or the Executive/ Management and Supervisors to treat any application, at any level, more favourably than any other for the same vacancy, will disqualify a candidate from selection.
- R398 776 – R549 016 (per annum inclusive of benefits)
Lo msebenzi ufakwe ngu Tebuho Moshoeshoe nge 4 ka May 2022